It’s been a hot and humid month of July with unprecedented rainfall amounts. Where I live this is a recipe for bumper crops of mosquitoes and gnats. So there was plenty of time spent inside on the computer and here are some links I’ve gathered over the past month.
1. Bastille Day Parade. It’s not every day that two of my favorite things intersect but on the 14th of July President Trump was in Paris for the Bastille Day parade and reviewed the Foreign Legion as they marched their way down the Champs-Élysées. Not sure what the French President told him about the Legion but Trump looked pretty impressed. More videos can be found at Foreign Legion Info. (NOTE: I only voted for Trump because the alternative was far worse but I’m now happy that I did because despite his flaws he is doing a good job. …and also I love watching our left-wing loons get triggered just about every day).
2. 14 July Press Release. Here is the official press release for the parade. 14 July Dossier De Presse
3. A Canadian in the Legion. This is a series of three YouTube videos made by the “Littlest Viking” that describes his five months in the Foreign Legion. He apparently made selection, got through The Farm and landed at Castelnaudary (what he calls Castel) for basic training but in the end he left (more to follow on his departure in the fourth video which he has not posted yet). This was pretty informative. UPDATE: Part 4 is posted–well worth a look.
4. Légionnaire, mon frère. Another video–this one is an official documentary produced by the Journal of Defense media team.
5. Boutique de la Légion Etrangère. Here is the official commercial website of the Foreign Legion “old soldiers home” at Puyloubier. “The Legion never abandons its own, Neither in combat, nor in life.” I’ve always admired how this institution works. It is nice to see how the old legionnaires are involved in something other than staring at a wall. (There is a VA Hospital down the road from my house and it is a really sad affair–a miserable government run warehouse for our sick, old and mentally challenged veterans. I believe the VA exists for the benefit of the government employees and not the veteran.)